Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Birthdays Are Sacred

I've had a couple friends say to me, "What's so special about a birthday?  The sun is in the same position in relation to the Earth.  It's just another day to me."  or even, "I don't really like my birthday."

Especially after I celebrated my birthday this past week, I'm convinced that this statement is just so sad.  A birthday is the celebration of your existence, the start of your journey in life.  We, as a humans with life, have a rational mind.  We have desires and hopes and dreams.  We have attachments to people and places, and interests in things like foods, TV shows, music etc.  We are attracted to beauty in a variety of ways.  We possess a unique "me" and can't even explain how we got that way.

THIS FACT OF EXISTENCE makes a birthday something to really be celebrated whether you've turned three, or sixty-three.

Last week, I turned the big 2-9! It's hard to believe I'm already 29, especially considering that most of my life, I thought near thirty year-olds had it together....

I'm so grateful to my friends and family who still hold birthdays to be really sacred.  They showed this in all of the gifts, dinners, sweets, and quality time that was showered upon me in the last week and a half.  I am completely undeserving of such wonderful people in my life--and so enriched by their ability to see life as a GIFT any day of the week--not just for special occasions.

My birthday really did help me remember that God gave this life and everything I need to be fulfilled.  In my 29th year, I'm still asking for the daily reminder and probably will be until my (God willing) 92nd year.

"For God is our strength and our song," as we were reading last night in our CL meeting and I am certain that  He will be just that for me in all my days to come! "Strength" to battle the daily apathy and ignorance that bombards me and the "song" of sweetness when I find His Love.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  We have much for which to be grateful!