Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What Wonderwall, Pear Trees, a KLOVE Song, and Jesus All Have In Common

(Editor Note: This was SUPPOSED to publish on March 21st, but didn't...Secret's out--I schedule my posts!  Haha.  Oh, well.  It's still a beautiful reflection to share even if it's three weeks late!)

A lot of things were working together on Sunday morning when I awoke.  First, I read something in my Lenten reflections about Jesus fully knowing our humanity--its fraility, its ability to be easily distracted and persuaded, its limitedness--and HE STILL chose to die on a cross for us.  Because He knew us better than we knew ourselves.

Second, I was thinking of two friends from my college days who, when we get together, always play the song by Oasis, "Wonderwall" on the guitar for me when we are together.  It's not a secret amongst people who really know me how much I love this song.  What's moving is that these two guys don't even ask, "Erica, what's your request?" anymore.  They just go into it, with this smirk on their face saying, "When's she gonna figure out that I'm playing the song she loves?"  I, of course when I hear the first few chords, smile, whoop, cheer, whatever, and am left in awe of their selflessness in front of me.

Third, there's this song on KLOVE called "Something Beautiful" by the group Need to Breathe that's really amazing.  One of the lines in the refrain is "...this is my desire, consume me like a fire, because I just want something beautiful to touch me..."  It's a song about begging for something beautiful to reach him in the day--because his heart can't take it if there's no beauty there.

So, it took me beholding these beautiful PEAR TREES on my parents' street Sunday afternoon to link all of these three seemingly random thoughts together.  But, I turn the corner into my parents' housing development and BAM...trees in full bloom.  Totally gorgeous.  Taking my breath away.  Song "Something Beautiful" is playing on the radio.  And BAM.  It hits me again...God was just WAITING for me to figure out that this was all just part of His little gift today.

God as Jesus Christ, knows our humanity better than anyone else.  This means He knows the crappy ways we fail, but He ALSO knows all the things/ways we delight.  I didn't wake up Sunday thinking, "Wow, I can't wait to see blooming trees today!" But God gave it anyway because He knew I'd love it.  Much like my college pals Josh and Dave playing "Wonderwall" for me even when I don't ask.

And the reward for God?  My smile, my cheering, my heart leaping!  (Pretty much the same reasons the guys play songs for me....)  It's amazing to think that my smile, my praise could bring so much joy...

How many times a day do I miss the little gifts that God is waiting with upraised eyebrows saying, "When's she going to see what I'm giving her?"  And just like a determined child, God continues to pour them on...not getting mad and giving up...but persistently helping me drown in His beauty.