Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Year of Zumba!!

The official date I started Zumba was January 22nd (I only know that because I joined the YMCA the same day.)  so I'm a little behind on the one year anniversary, but I had to dedicate at least one post to this newest (most surprising) hobby of mine.  I don't exactly like to exercise, but I know it's good for me.  But I LOVE to dance..enough to do it in my free time.  So, I found a mixture of both!

Zumba is defined as a Latin-dance fitness class that uses Latin rhythms and beats as its base music and movements also inspired from that culture.  You sweat.  A lot. You smile.  Usually.  And it hurts.  All the time.

I've had a lot of fun trying to make my own dances, but find that I'm actually probably a better follower than a choreographer...and end up learning my moves from the DVDs the Zumba Network sends me (pretty sweet, huh?)

I figure like most fashion trends, Zumba has only a short life...but we live in the present, so why not lose some weight, have fun, and DANCE??!!

I've also seen this activity bring great unity to my staff at St. Susanna, as we have class together two times a week.  It's a gift to be able to get together in a way that ISN'T about test scores, logistics of running a school, or to complain.  We're trying to lead healthier lives while trusting each other to look RIDICULOUS doing the dance moves that we do! :)

So, whether this little hobby continues for a year or twenty years, at least I can say I've experienced Latin dance in its most interesting of moments!