Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bringing Down the Backer....

Am I a huge Notre Dame fan? No. Do I think their alumni stuff is kind of weird? Yes.

However, I have a lot of really great friends who just graduated with master's degrees in theology from there, so we HAD to celebrate.  And the only reasonable thing to do was "close the Backer" last Friday night.

Closing the Backer is as awesome as it sounds--staying out until 3am dancing your butt off to tunes you may have heard in the 80s or on your radio on the way to the bar.  The Linebacker Inn (known by that name only to people who are uncool like me...) is a tacky little establishment with no seating or tables...just a dance floor and a bar.  Your $5 cover buys you your first drink and you then get 32oz beers of GOOD beer for $3.00.

But I've danced the night away before...many nights.  I had to ask myself what made this one so different?  Especially enough for me to write a blog post about it and even be thinking about it a week later.

It was by far the people I celebrated with and the fact that those people will NEVER be together again.  It was our one moment in time...when "you really get to see another side to people," as my friend Joe said! :)  We danced with no inhabition, sang at the top of our lungs, and just were pumped to be together. 

The rest of the weekend was awesome too getting to see my friends graduate, have dinner, dance AGAIN and then say our goodbyes.  I'm so thankful for the friends that I have and that I continue to meet.  They are truly people who I've seen a passion for life in a way I didn't know before I met them.  And even if they don't live in my city anymore, that passion and love for life is something that never goes away.  SOOOOO...when we visit each other in future years, it will be like nothing has changed.  I know this is true because I already have so many friends around the world where it is like this.

How's it possible?  From one God who created us to have one desire--to be with Him.  When you find people who are living pursuing THAT, you really can never be disappointed, bored or mediocre.

Praising God today for Nic, Natalie and Joe and the "excuse" of being able to reflect on the amazing few years of their lives in Indianapolis.  May God continue to bless all of us with these rich friendships and powerful encounters!